Come enjoy my world of Fantasy and Steampunk creations.

Mystic Reflections' Creations

Mystic Reflections' Creations

Caralyn's Events and Appearances

  • Aug. 30th - Sep. 3rd - DragonCon: Atlanta GA
  • Feb. 23rd-24th 2018 - ConNooga, Chattanooga TN
  • Nov. 17th-19th 2017 - Atlanta Steampunk Exposition: Atlanta GA
  • Nov. 11th - 12th 2017 - Christmas at Lithia Springs High school, Lithia Springs GA
  • Oct. 7th 2017 - RevFest: Rev Coffee Smyrna GA

My Blogs

Let's see what I have been up to. :)

Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Then and Now Polymer Clay Creations: Always Keep Trying!

I have been trying to help encourage fellow artists recently by posting some of my older sculptures from when I first started sculpting. I remember the day I decided to start working with clay like it was yesterday. It was 2006 and I was at a very small craft show in June. It was hot, and my husband, sister, brother-in-law and I had only seen about three customers the entire six hours we had been at the show. At that time I was only making 2D artwork to sell and as we set in the heat looking through my prints my sister announced "Wouldn't it be neat to make fairies to set around your art booth". There you have it, that little phrase got us all talking and coming up with ideas, since there wasn't much else to help pass the time. The next week I was working with clay. My pieces back then were nothing to write home about (not sure if anyone uses that colloquialism anymore but...) it was a beginning and has now surpassed my then expectations of my little business. It doesn't matter how you get started, no-one starts out as an expert. I have been sculpting with Polymer clay for over a decade now. Even though I have had several years of practice I am still improving every day. My technique changes and is refined with almost every piece. I love to encourage artists to keep trying and never give up; you only get experience by doing.
So to help motivate, here are some of my "Then and Now" Polymer clay creations.
Steampunk Animal Pals, rabbit, fox, hedgehog and mouse.



Steampunk Squirrel and Raccoon 




My Dragon Pals never get tired of Candycorn.

Left Dragon from 2011, Right Dragon from 2016


Even my husband's covers for his Winston and Baum books
have come a long way, from the 1st novel to the 4th. 
I hope this blog helped inspire, I know it always helped me to see how far artist's had improved over the years.
For more information on the Winston and Baum Books.
Thanks for reading,
~Caralyn

No comments: