Come enjoy my world of Fantasy and Steampunk creations.

Mystic Reflections' Creations

Mystic Reflections' Creations

Caralyn's Events and Appearances

  • Aug. 30th - Sep. 3rd - DragonCon: Atlanta GA
  • Feb. 23rd-24th 2018 - ConNooga, Chattanooga TN
  • Nov. 17th-19th 2017 - Atlanta Steampunk Exposition: Atlanta GA
  • Nov. 11th - 12th 2017 - Christmas at Lithia Springs High school, Lithia Springs GA
  • Oct. 7th 2017 - RevFest: Rev Coffee Smyrna GA

My Blogs

Let's see what I have been up to. :)

Monday, March 9, 2009

Patience is a Virtue

Hiya!

So I went to Binders Saturday, Binders is this really great art store I like to go to. It’s sort of like Michaels only it has more “art” supplies and less crafts. That’s where I venture when I need to get a canvas or Scratch board.
While I was there I met a talented artist who was displaying some of his work there. He was also in the process of painting a large canvas. He was painting it for his son as a wedding present. The artist was copying a photo of the couple taken at their wedding. The bride was dressed in a long red sari, The vibrant color caught my eye as soon as I walked in the door. All along the edges was a beautiful white lace, the artist was working on that when I approached him. As I came closer I realized he did not have a brush in his hand but an x-acto knife. He must’ve seen the confusion on my face cause he told me what he was up to before I could even ask. He explained that he was afraid he would lose some of the detail if he just painted the lace with a brush, so instead he was chipping away the layers of oil paint to expose the canvas underneath. A tedious task no doubt but from how the painting was turning out well worth it. He then went on to say he achieved to bright red, not from mixing paint but from layering it…14 layers to be exact. He said it had already taken him over 140 hrs to get where it was and he still had a little ways to go before it was finished. Can you imagine? I don’t even have enough patience to paint my nails.
Each of his pieces had so much detail, you could tell he puts alot of time into his work. People always say, patience is a virtue well I say patience is an artist. But seeing his work inspired me, I think I may even start on a painting this week.

Later
~Caralyn

No comments: